Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Red Rain Review

Picture
Government regulations said they had no choice. 17-year-old Philadelphia must stay on Earth in the care of complete strangers while her father is sent against his will to Mars. When a benevolent official gives her the opportunity to accompany her father, Philadelphia knows she must keep her head down or be sent back to Earth. But when a search for her deceased brother’s Bible leads her into a hallway that isn’t supposed to exist, Philadelphia is faced with a question she doesn’t want to answer – the choice between returning to Earth or destroying it.
--From Aubrey Hansen's Website.



********************************************************************

My sisters and I listened to Red Rain together, and enjoyed it from beginning to end. Christian science fiction is really hard to find, and Red Rain is exactly that. Christianity, and persecution for it, is central to the plot, and there is space travel and a colony on Mars as well. Despite most of the story happening on Mars, the settings are fairly simple, which allows the reader (or listener) to focus on the story itself. The story is well told, and very intriguing. Philadelphia is a great protagonist, and I really like her. I grew attached to all the good characters, but Philadelphia most of all. Something I though was really cool was how some of the characters' names came from the cities mentioned in Revelation, the ones Revelation was originally sent to. It was fun to find the characters whose names came from the Bible: Philadelphia, Ephesus, Dr. Smyrna, Mr. Sardis and Cea (from Laodicea). I do wish there was more to the story, but I saw something about Aubrey working on a sequel, so perhaps there will be. I can't recommend this book enough. But don't take my word for it. Read it for yourself. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! I love getting comments. Please keep them clean and relevant to the post. Thank you!