Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Z: Zoology

This is the perfect day for this post. Why? I'll explain later.

Zoology may be a bit of a stretch, but it's something for 'z.' For this one, I'm going back to the beginning of The Experiment. Audrey Raingold is taking Biology the year The Experiment happens, which necessitates learning about animals. So some of the course would be considered zoology. Audrey's introduction into the story is when she is dissecting a frog for school.

Audrey is somewhat based on me, and so her frog dissection is as well. She finds a beetle's exoskeleton in her frog's large intestine as I did in mine. I don't really remember much else from the dissection, except that I got bored with it before I was done, but the beetle experience has been incorporated into a story. After all, stories are better if they have some truth in them, and I've heard that authors are supposed to write what they know. (Though I have also heard it is better to write what you want to read.)

Why is this the perfect day? My sister and her friend dissected their own frogs today. My sister's frog has a more interesting story than mine. It had a ladybug in its mouth. It was also full of frog eggs, which was pretty gross. Biology can be quite interesting, and even furnish stories for fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! I love getting comments. Please keep them clean and relevant to the post. Thank you!