We're launching Carrie Mouse and the Giant Garage in just one week! I'm so excited about this! We've put a lot of work into this book, a lot of figuring things out as we go along, and we're finally done! So for fun, I'm going to give you a list of random facts about the background of this book.
- It's based on a true story. It sounds kind of funny to say that about a book from the perspective of a mouse, but it's true. A mouse really got trapped in our garage.
- I initially wrote it when I was seven. Yup, a super grown up seven. ;)
- I illustrated the first version myself with crayon and gave it to my dad. I believe the cover was yellow.
- It was the first book we actually seriously considered publishing. Way back when I was a kid. Obviously we didn't do it back then.
- My cousin was going to illustrate it, but didn't.
- I've never been able to let go of the idea of publishing this book. Obviously, since I'm doing it now.
- I initially wanted my sister to make clay figures that we could pose in the original locations, but that never happened.
- The current illustration style is inspired by Barbara Reid and Bekah did a fantabulous job on them.
- We have more ideas for stories—mostly just topics, but there's one about playing the piano I've mostly thought out and just need to sit down and write.
- Just one week left until the launch!
P.S. If you want to help with the blog tour, I can still fit you in. Sign up here.