Monday, March 23, 2020

Quarantine Life


So my library is closed, so I have no work to go to. We're still keeping up with each other and our extra e-services while we're closed, but, well, I'm at home. I'm still teaching, but via FaceTime, which is...interesting. It's been going decently, and I'm super glad we live in a time when that's an option, but I'll be glad to do in-person lessons again. It is a little annoying to stop driving to students when I'm only one disc into Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane. The rats want to kill Boots and I have nowhere to drive so I can listen!

I've been writing, getting several chapters of Acktorek done. I'm now done with 21 out of 37 chapters. Ironically, I'm also done recording 21 chapters of Crannig Castle, though that book only has 30 chapters. I finished binge reading the Jedi Apprentice series, and I'm not actually allowed to return them to the library right now. I...haven't been practicing violin and piano more. I should.

It's gotten warmer and we've had some rain-free evenings, so I've spent some time shooting baskets with my middle sister, and the other night I had a lightsaber duel with my youngest sister. I'm so out of practice at both, but it's been fun.

My sister likes watching dumb movies to laugh at them, so we've been watching the High School Musical movies for the first time. (We didn't have Disney Channel when they were a thing, and I thought they sounded dumb anyway.) It's a funny thing about dumb movies—if you go in expecting them to be bad, they can be quite amusing and rather entertaining. Just don't take it seriously. And honestly, they're better than a lot of Hallmark movies. I've also somehow ended up watching Lava three times in one week. 😳

It'll be nice when life gets back to normal. It'll be nice to get out of the house more than going out to the driveway. It'll be nice to see my students again, not on a tiny phone screen. But right now, social distancing to slow the spread is what we're doing. I feel bad for those who are directly affected by the virus. They need prayer.

Those of us who are well and staying home, well, we can choose how we handle this. We can be angry about staying home, be too stir crazy to actually stay home, and all round have a bad attitude about it. Or we can choose to see this as a gift, a chance to slow down, spend more time with our families, and be grateful we live in a time when we can stay connected via the internet.

I, for one, am glad for more family time. Most of my friends live out of state anyway, so nothing changes there. We should all keep praying that the sick will recover and the well will stay well, but we should also trust God, and make the most of a bad situation by, well, introverting and doing introvert things. 😉 I have lots of books, a book to write, parents and siblings, FaceTime students, friends the same text away as always, and Disney+, so, well, it's like I was made for this.


Now off to read my book...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! I love getting comments. Please keep them clean and relevant to the post. Thank you!