Monday, August 19, 2013

A: Adam Ellison

I'm starting a new blog series, this time A-Z posts on The Experiment. I've had to get somewhat creative to work in all my main characters, and because of difficult letters, but that will be later. Right now I'm going to talk about Adam Ellison.

Adam is one of my primary secondary characters. In other words, he is one of the more important characters, but he is not a POV (point of view) character. He is also one of my dream characters. The Experiment was inspired by dreams. You can read more about that here. Adam was in one of these dreams, his name coming from Madeleine L'Engle's Adam Eddington. My Adam isn't really like her Adam, though.

Adam first makes his appearance in chapter six, though he is briefly mentioned at the end of chapter four. He is seventeen years old and a homeschooled high school student. I know that's what I am now, but when I came up with the idea for the story, I was in the position of fourteen year old Audrey Raingold. He is responsible, but though he is older, he generally lets Audrey be the boss of her younger siblings. He does occasionally step in when seven year old Ian Raingold starts to step over the line. In The Experiment, all the homescooled and private schooled children along with any public school nonconformists are taken from their parents and placed in "foster care." It is in one of these "foster homes" that Adam meets the Raingolds.

Adam is rather thrown in with the Raingolds and their friends. He fits in well as far as far as the others are concerned, yet he still seems to feel himself to be somewhat of an outsider. By the way, I only just realized that Adam was this way. I wrote him without even noticing how he felt in this respect, yet that's how it is. I can't imagine
The Experiment without Adam, and I sure am glad he was in my dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! I love getting comments. Please keep them clean and relevant to the post. Thank you!