Monday, March 6, 2017

Introducing Liesel

Liesel
Via Pinterest
Liesel is my Sleeping Beauty character, the main girl in Twisted Dreams. She's a character I'm quite fond of, though my favorite character in the book is Matthew.

Conception of the Character

Liesel did not actually originate in Twisted Dreams. She was initially the (deceased) mother of the main girl of another story. She still is, actually, but that's a ways into the future.

Her name was a bit spur of the moment. I'd decided the country of Hanover had German influences part way through worldbuilding, so all characters created past that point have German names. Several created before that point have Old English, Hebrew, and Greek names, which doesn't fit the worldbuilding, but they stuck. I was naming this girl's parents, and I didn't want to do too much work in order to find a German name I liked, so I just went with Liesel. Pretty simple, due to The Sound of Music and the fact that I also know a little girl of that name. Liesel's middle name is Rosanna, a random addition made when I began Twisted Dreams as a reference to Briar Rose.

Character History

Liesel in medieval Hanover is the princess of the land. She was given gifts of beauty, grace, long life, etc. when an infant by the Cantileens and cursed to prick her finger on a spinning wheel and fall into an everlasting sleep by a Wingan named Calandra. (Yes, I am aware that those details differ slightly from the original. I have my reasons.) As it happened, she lived a fairly normal life until she pricked her finger and fell asleep, and that's where things get crazy.

Liesel in sci-fi Hanover is a commoner engaged to the prince. She is the second oldest of five children, having an older brother, a younger brother, and two younger sisters. Her wedding to the crown prince of Hanover is but a few days away...only the enemies of Hanover have sought to interfere.

Personality

Regardless of which version of Hanover Liesel is in, she is still a kind and compassionate soul, very much in love with her prince. She is somewhat fearful, and wants very badly to simply depend on Will instead of doing things herself, but she can't always let him do everything. She's very mature for her age, and though she has fears about ruling a kingdom, she is quite capable of being queen. She is brave and willing to do what's right, but she does have a lot of internal struggles. After all, she's in a rather complicated, intense situation.


What are your thoughts on Liesel? Which version of Hanover do you think is real?

4 comments:

  1. Ooh interesting! This really does sound like a fun twisted up story. Is this alternate universes or a dream world? (no, I'm not expecting an answer.)
    I can't help noticing that Leisel looks a bit like my character Leisa. She sounds much more confident though. Leisa has anxiety issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is reality in the story somewhere, the question is where... :D
      Cool. Liesel's relatively confident, some of the time. It's her daughter that has anxiety issues. ;)

      Delete
  2. I know which is real, thanks to lovely conversations with the author ;). But I shouldn't tell...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've also read Twisted Dreams...just not the other story. ;)

      Delete

Share your thoughts! I love getting comments. Please keep them clean and relevant to the post. Thank you!