Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Y: Yea, though I should walk through the valley of the shadow of death . . .

Whenever Sara Watson is scared, she quotes Psalm 23:

“The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. He maketh me to rest in green pastures and leadeth me by the still waters. He restoreth my soul and leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his Name’s sake. Yea, though I should walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me: thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the sight of my adversaries. Thou dost anoint mine head with oil, and my cup runneth over. Doubtless kindness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall remain a long season in the house of the Lord.”

Sara’s constant quoting of these verses indicates that in time of need, Sara turns to God. This is true of the other main good characters, but it is most prominent in Sara.

Another reference to this passage comes in one of the chapter names. My chapter name is a twist of a chapter name in Little Women by Louisa May Alcott which comes from Psalm 23. The chapter from Little Women is “The Valley of the Shadow,” the chapter from Across the Stars is “A Brush with Shadows.” If you are familiar with Little Women, you may be able to guess in general what the chapter in Across the Stars is about. Strangely enough for my writing style, this chapter was one I had foreseen practically from the beginning. And though I had some difficulties while writing it, Sara’s habit of turning to God in times of need is what showed through and propelled it forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! I love getting comments. Please keep them clean and relevant to the post. Thank you!