Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Radialloy Review

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085MJKYC/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0

The year is 2320. Andi Lloyd is content with her life as the assistant to her adoptive father, a starship doctor, but her secure world turns upside down when she begins uncovering secrets from her past. When her father mysteriously starts losing his mind, she finds that she can no longer count on him to guide or help her. With mutiny breaking out on the ship, and two factions desperate for a valuable secret she holds, she must race to save her father and herself before time runs out.--From J. Grace Pennington's Website

*********************************************

I have read a lot of books by homeschooled authors in the last few months, and though I love them all dearly and was terribly sad to say goodbye to all the characters I had come to know and love, Firmament: Radialloy has been the only one to leave me thinking, "Wow, I wish I could write like that." Radialloy is clean and well written, and is a complex, Christian mystery adventure set in outer space. The setting is similar to that of Star Trek, though without any aliens (Doctor Lloyd is very vocal about his disbelief in aliens), yet, even though Star Trek bores me, I absolutely loved Radialloy.

I have to be careful in this review not to give anything away, since part of what makes this story so intriguing is discovering things for one's self. I loved Andi. She's not much of a morning person, like me, so I was able to relate to her in that. The secrets about her past and the secret she holds are revealed well, as Andi herself discovers them. I was both entertained and a bit irritated by Eagle Crash, due to his cocky personality, but I like him anyway. I do like August quite a bit, and was pleased by what was revealed in regards to him, but I still like Andi better. It was difficult to figure out who the true villain was, and I must say, the villain(s) was well crafted. I struggle with creating a convincing bad guy, but Grace did an amazing job with hers.

The plot gets more and more complex as the story goes on. The tension even mounted to the point that I read Radialloy while eating breakfast, so determined was I to discover if they could accomplish what they had set out to do. The only thing I can think of that I don't like is that the second book in the Firmament Series hasn't been released yet. I'm really looking forward to Firmament: In His Image. Oh, and I really like the cover of Radialloy, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! I love getting comments. Please keep them clean and relevant to the post. Thank you!