Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Poison's Dance Review


Poison’s Dance

Beyond the Tales #3
If he falls to the lure of the curse, the dance might trap him forever.

Alex has survived his first year as high king. The new counsel has improved cooperation between the kingdoms, and peace seems achievable. When the Tuckawassee queen sends him an invitation he can’t refuse, Alex must once again face his greatest threat for the sake of peace.

Princess Tamya of Tuckawassee, along with her eleven sisters, has danced from sunset until sunrise every night of her life. It is her gift and her curse. When Queen Valinda wishes to use the power their cursed dance gives them to rule all of Tallahatchia, Tamya must decide if she will do what is right even if it betrays her ow
n sister.

Daemyn Rand has survived a hundred years' worth of battles. All he wants to do now is safely marry his princess. Will he be forced to choose between the love of his life and the high king he has loyally served for years?

They have faced certain death before. This time, they might not make it out alive.

Don’t miss this re-envisioning of the Twelve Dancing Princesses fairy tale.




My Review

Poor Alex. He's grown up so much since the first book, but being the high king of Tallahatchia really makes him a target for curses.

I would say, it's prooooobably better if you don't read 80+ books in between the first two books and this one as it did take a bit for me to reorient myself in the world and remember what happened before, but I got my bearings a lot better with this one than I did with the last Mysterious Benedict Society book.

I really do love the worldbuilding in this series. It's just so different from what you'd expect from a fairy tale series, having that strong Native American feel, but with castles, and somehow it really works.

I'm not as familiar with the Twelve Dancing Princesses as I am with Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella, but reading through the Wikipedia summary of the fairy tale, I can see how Tricia included all the important elements, but with twists that blend it seamlessly into the already established world. And poor Alex. He's learned a LOT from his experiences in the previous book, and it shows in how he handles this difficult situation. And I don't want to say too much because if I do, I'll give major spoilers, but the ending was pretty tense there for a bit. Man. Let's just say it reminded me of a particular BBC Merlin season 1 episode, but with much more dire consequences.

There's not a ton of Daemyn and Rosanna together in this one, but what we do get is great. I love the two of them very much. 😊

All in all, a worthy installment in the Beyond the Tales series, and I'm looking forward to their next adventure!


Author Bio

Tricia Mingerink is a twenty-something, book-loving, horse-riding country girl. She lives in Michigan with her family and their pack of pets. When she isn't writing, she can be found pursuing backwoods adventures across the country.
Find her online at: Website || Goodreads || Facebook || Twitter || Instagram || Amazon 

1 comment:

  1. I loved the first two books in this series, especially Midnight's Curse. Shades of Pocahontas, but with princesses and a unique twist on the fairy tales. Can't say I'm familiar with this particular fairy tale, but I'm sure this will be a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I love getting comments. Please keep them clean and relevant to the post. Thank you!