Monday, June 3, 2013

The Pirate Daughter's Promise Review

Picture
Orphaned at a young age, Skylar McHenry grew up as little more than a servant and shunned by everyone around her because of her reputation as a pirate's daughter. Each day Skye faces is marked by some new struggle. Her only hope is to rely on her heavenly Father's care and comfort and the solace of her best friend, Will, who has become more than dear to her.

Just when an unexpected encounter gives Skye a small glimmer of hope that things might change in her favor, her world is shattered. She is awakened in the night by cannon blasts. Pirates storm the orphanage, drag her away, and force her aboard their ship. The cruel captain's intentions are clear. He will extract from her, through any means necessary, the location of the treasure hidden by her father. For Skye to divulge the location would mean breaking the last promise she made to him. She's certain she never will, but what happens when the lives of those dearest to her are at stake?
--From Molly Evangeline's website

********************************************************************

I loved this book! In fact, though a few months ago I didn't even know Molly Evangeline existed, I have not only read all her books, I have read The Pirate Daughter's Promise twice.

Molly is really good at creating likeable characters. She really gets you to care about what happens to them. I love the characters in Pirates and Faith. Skye is very brave and adventurous, but very feminine as well. Will is very chivalrous, something I really loved about him (and also something missing from our culture). I also liked how Molly was able to create an exciting pirate story without making the pirates the good guys. Pirates are bad, and they are portrayed as such. The message was a wonderful one, that God always has a reason for things, whether we know what it is or not.

I don't really have any criticisms to make, except maybe that there are only four books in the series (I wish there were many more). The Pirate Daughter's Promise has definitely made me into a Molly Evangeline fan and  I strongly recommend it for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! I love getting comments. Please keep them clean and relevant to the post. Thank you!